Now, we appreciate that not every one of our customers is interested in “The Tour” (in fact, the majority probably couldn’t give a monkies) however, the fact remains that it is the biggest event in the road riding calendar and it does generate a lot of press coverage, retail products and trivia. Yep, everybody loves TRIVIA. So, in a slight nod to the greatest road race on earth we bring you some complete daft Tour de France trivia. Some of which might even be true.
- The tallest rider was Johan van Summeren at 1.98 meters or 6′ 5.5″.
- The shortest was Samuel Dumoulin at 1.58 meters or 5′ 2″.
- The heaviest rider was Magnus Backstedt at 95 kgs or 209.5 lbs.
- The lightest was Leonardo Piepoli at 57 kgs or 125.7lbs.
- Chris Horner and Laurent Lefevre shared the lowest resting heart rate, 35 beats per minute.
- The “average” rider in 2005 was 1.79 meters (5′ 10.5″) tall, weighed 71 kgs (156.5 lbs), and had a resting heart rate of 50 beats per minute.
- Youngest winner was Henri Cornet, 19 years 50 weeks in 1904.